Hybrid (within UK or outside the UK)
The International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) is a policy and action research organisation promoting sustainable development and linking local priorities to global challenges. We are based in London and work on five continents with some of the world’s most vulnerable people to strengthen their voice in the decision-making arenas that affect them. With more than 150 members of staff working with associates and partners around the world, IIED has been at the forefront of evidence-based policymaking in sustainable development for over 50 years.
The Communications Group is a busy and friendly team of 16 working with all other parts of the Institute. In providing a service to our colleagues, we also act as a critical resource and centre of expertise.
We are currently seeking a Press Officer to join our Communications Group on a permanent, full-time basis working 35 hours per week.
- Salary of £33,869 - £42,029 per annum
- 25 days' annual leave per year, increasing by one day for every completed 2 years' service up to 30 days for full-time staff with 10 years' service. We are also closed between Christmas and New Year and this is additional paid holiday
- 7.5% employer's pension contributions to the IIED pension scheme (UK-based employees only)
- A range of flexible working options for all employees after a qualifying period
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption policies
- An employee protection scheme offering a flexible menu of benefits such as life insurance, spouse and partner life cover, critical illness and/or income protection cover (UK based employees only)
Please note some of these employee benefits may not apply if you are to work from another country.
This is an incredible opportunity for a media professional with experience of writing news stories, features and blogs for print, online and broadcasting to join our excellent organisation.
In this highly rewarding role, your work will contribute towards a more sustainable world that reduces social injustices and champions the voices of those most vulnerable to climate change.
What’s more, when you join our expert Communications Team, you will enhance your experience and build an incredible global professional network as you work on some of the most pressing contemporary issues.
As a Press Officer, you’ll look after our relationships with the media and deliver press releases that raise awareness and increase engagement with our work.
Maintaining an awareness of news agendas and trends, you’ll work with researchers to identify relevant topics and angles to create press releases that will attract media interest.
You’ll ensure the news sections of our website and social media contain up to date, engaging content whilst using monitoring and evaluating to assess campaign impact.
Additionally, you will:
- Commission film, photography and other materials
- Manage media enquiries
- Deliver media briefings aligned with our core goals
- Provide advice to colleagues on media engagement
To be considered as a Press Officer, you will need:
- Experience of writing news stories, features and blogs for print, online and broadcasting
- Experience of building relationships with national and international media contacts
- Experience of managing monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) on media coverage
- Knowledge of national and international media across print, online and broadcast channels
- The ability to pitch content to the media using a variety of channels
Experience of providing an advisory service on issues related to press and media or delivering media training to non-specialists would be highly advantageous. Experience of working across teams and in multi-partner situations would also be desirable.
Experience of communicating on sustainable development, environment, climate and social justice would be beneficial as would a degree in journalism, communications or media.
IIED is a hybrid working organisation and you are likely to be working from home most of the time. As such, you will need a suitable place to work and a reliable, fast internet connection.
The closing date for applications is 22nd March 2023.
Please note as part of the interview process, candidates will be expected to complete a written test.
Other organisations may call this role Communications and Press Officer, PR Officer, Public Relations Officer, Media and Communications Officer, Communications and Engagement Officer, Communications Marketing Officer, or Digital Communications Officer.
Webrecruit and International Institute for Environment and Development are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you can help us to engage the public across the world as a Press Officer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.