Principal / Senior Researcher - Climate Finance
Central London or Edinburgh (Please note, whilst this role is advertised as office-based, IIED will remain a remote-working organisation for the foreseeable future)
We welcome applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK.
The closing deadline for applications is midnight on 26 January 2022
Interviews are expected to be held Tuesday 8 and/or Tuesday 15 February 2022
The International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) is a policy and action research organisation promoting sustainable development and linking local priorities to global challenges. We are based in London and work on five continents with some of the world’s most vulnerable people to strengthen their voice in the decision-making arenas that affect them. With more than 100 members of staff working with associates and partners around the world, IIED has been at the forefront of policymaking in sustainable development for over 50 years.
IIED's Climate Change Group (CCG) works with those who have less voice and power in climate decision-making to co-create solutions that shape pathways and drive action for a just and sustainable future.
CCG's Climate Governance and Finance Team collaborates with public sector institutions (governments, bilateral and multilateral partners and development finance institutions), civil society actors and private sector entities in the developing world to design and test innovative solutions to climate change related risks.
We are now looking for a Principal / Senior Researcher to join our Climate Governance and Finance Team on a permanent, full-time contract.
- Grade 2 (10+ years' experience required): £57,569 - £63,438 per annum (up to £71,638 per annum for exceptional candidates depending on experience)
- Grade 3 (7+ years' experience required): £47,432 – £52,249 per annum (up to £58,980 per annum for exceptional candidates depending on experience)
- Benefits package
This is a fantastic opportunity for a highly skilled and experienced researcher to join our organisation and use their expertise to make a real difference and impact on the world in which we live.
You will have the chance to work with people across the globe, sharing ideas, research and knowledge and working together to support the world’s most vulnerable people.
If you have the skills and experience we’re looking for and have a keen interest in climate finance, we want to hear from you.
As a Principal / Senior Researcher, you will design and manage an innovative portfolio of policy research and influencing work on climate finance
Working closely with colleagues and a network of international partners, you will lead our work programme on climate finance, 'Money Where It Matters', which supports vulnerable people and regions.
Providing outstanding leadership in this area, you will focus on two key elements:
- Reforming the international climate finance system to increase the quantity and quality of finance being made available for locally-led adaptation action
- Supporting a range of governments, organisations, actors and communities to develop the institutions, governance structures and financial mechanisms needed to access and use climate finance effectively to achieve their adaptation and resilience ambitions
To be considered as a Principal / Senior Researcher, you will need:
- Significant experience working on climate adaptation and/or international development issues in LDCs and/or LMICs
- Significant experience working on climate and/or development finance
- A proven track record supporting national governments to access climate finance, develop equitable climate adaptation policies and/or build institutional capacities on climate adaptation and/or finance
- A track record in designing and implementing research projects, policy analysis or programme evaluations on climate finance and climate adaptation policy in LDCs or LMICs
- Expert knowledge of public policy challenges of LDC and/or LMIC governments for accessing and using climate finance to address climate risks equitably
- A strong understanding of how to design and deliver innovative, collaborative policy development and influencing processes
- A track record of raising and managing significant project funding from institutional donors
- Good IT skills
- A postgraduate degree in climate finance, climate change, development studies, development economics, environmental economics, international finance or a related discipline
- The willingness and ability to travel for up to four months in the year
Other organisations may call this role Principal Researcher, Senior Researcher, Researcher, Senior Research Officer, or Research Associate.
IIED is a committed Disability Confident and accredited Living Wage employer, committed to equal opportunities and the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality.
If you’re seeking a brilliant new opportunity as a Principal / Senior Researcher, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.