Head of Business Development
Central London or Edinburgh (Please note that while this role is advertised as office-based, IIED will remain a predominantly remote-working organisation for the foreseeable future)
The closing deadline for applications is midnight on the 24 October 2021.
Interviews will be held the week commencing 8 November 2021.
The International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) is a policy and action research organisation. We promote sustainable development to improve livelihoods and protect the environments on which these livelihoods are built. We specialise in linking local priorities to global challenges. IIED is based in London and works in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and the Pacific, with some of the world’s most vulnerable people. We work with them to strengthen their voice in the decision-making arenas that affect them - from village councils to international conventions.
We are now looking for a Head of Business Development to join our team and lead our Business Development function on a full-time, permanent basis.
- Salary of £57,569 - £63,438 per annum (up to £71,638 for exceptional candidates) based on skills and experience
- Benefits package
This is a fantastic opportunity for a high calibre charity funding professional looking for a new challenge to join our thriving organisation and help shape our future direction and success.
As an organisation, our purpose is to contribute to making the world more just and more sustainable. You will have the chance to build on the strong relations we have developed with our current and potential funders, identifying new opportunities and driving us forward, navigating a rapidly changing environment.
In return, we can offer you excellent benefits and a variety of activities and social events to promote health and wellbeing and enable our teams to enjoy a positive, cohesive work environment.
As our Head of Business Development, you will be responsible for increasing our income and helping us secure support to enable our organisation to continue towards our mission.
Managing the Business Development Team, you will implement and refine our 2021-2 business development strategy. This focuses on increasing our funding by identifying new opportunities, maintaining our existing funding relationships, increasing the success of our competitive bidding and increasing the effectiveness of our internal business development and systems.
You will lead the development of strong relations with key targets for future income and help create new partnerships and alliances. You will also work closely with colleagues throughout the organisation to share information and ideas.
Additionally, you will:
- Take direct responsibility for negotiating and completing large-scale applications for funding
- Gather and disseminate intelligence on the funding landscape
- Work with Research Groups to develop their fundraising plans and donor scoping
- Provide effective leadership and mentoring to the team
To join us as our Head of Business Development, you will need:
- A sustained track record in securing funding for a range of projects from a variety of donors including public sector funding agencies and private foundations
- An entrepreneurial ‘self-starter’ approach with the ability to recognise opportunities and act on them appropriately
- Proven experience in partnership and/or consortium development, creating, developing and working through consortia, networks, alliances, partnerships and international teams
- Access to an extensive international network of contacts relevant to the post
- An understanding of policy and research work on sustainable development issues in Africa, Asia and/or Latin America and at international level
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and fluency in English
- Excellent knowledge of office software and relevant specialist software
- A post-graduate degree in a relevant discipline or a relevant graduate degree and relevant formal training and/or qualification
A working knowledge of French or Spanish, and/or other widely spoken languages (with a preference for those who are fully fluent in one of these languages), in addition to English, would be beneficial to your application. Membership of relevant national and international bodies would also be advantageous.
Other organisations may call this role Business Development Lead, Head of Fundraising, Charity Development Manager, Fundraising Manager, or Income Development Manager.
Webrecruit and IIED are equal opportunities employers. We value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as our Head of Business Development, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.